An Asian-Canadian's traveling saga & literary tidbit
Life's contentment is not about sitting around in one's familiar place, but rather it is realized from far-flung places away from it. Traveling is my ultimate life's saga.

The picturesque Canal and a flapping banner (2) - Venice, Itay

"Heading out in the now quiet alleyway and into Vaporetto station, my wife and I took a last glimpse of this ancient and surreal surroundings: the centuries-old Venetian apartments whose old-world dwellers once lived and listened to Marco Polo's adventure..."

cont'd...
Narrow lane of Venice full of striding feet
The clear and starry evening sky, the ornamental minute blue and incandescent light-bulbs hang overhead along and throughout each lane, and some occasional lonely brass light-posts did its duty to help us find our way back to the apartment.

Moments later, we were all together at the dinner table with me recounting our late afternoon stroll. Few of Dave's friends came over and met us. Our conversation went on close to midnight, and soon afterward we left the apartment as we had planned earlier to catch a midnight train to Rome.

Heading out in the now quiet alleyway and into Vaporetto station, my wife and I took a last glimpse of this ancient and surreal surroundings: the centuries-old Venetian apartments whose old-world dwellers once lived and listened to Marco Polo's adventure; the arched little bridges that connected each alley and helped thousands of wandering feet traverse the "water" city; the perennially magical meandering sub-canals whose romantic association with falsetto-voiced Gondoliers has never faded throughout the centuries; and the one that epitomize all of Venice life and dreams, the gondolas. Now docked and resting in the middle of the night over calm water, each partially shrouded by tarp to protect it from elements, I guess.

"Sleep now and rest," as if I was speaking to someone, "for tomorrow you are going to invite and capture once again the hearts of many - whose desire was to intimately glide with you along the canals and pass underneath the majestic Rialto Bridge - transcending their most-favoured dream into a reality!"

Gondolas in slumber. Zzzz...
At this time, a little banner at the end of a post where the gondolas are docked now being caress playfully by cold midnight breeze, is gently flapping as if bidding its goodbye to us.

I stopped momentarily, gave out a little smile and in my mind silently uttered words, "Thank you for the wonderful experience, until next time, my friend!"

Meanwhile, I noticed my wife was starting to pull my hand, urging me and said, "Come on, we've still got to catch the midnight express train to Rome!" I then obliged without delay. (to be continued...)
0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Concepteurs web

About Me

My photo
Although the author has no professional writing credential nor an all-embracing traveling experience, it is the inspiration drawn out from lives surrounding him as well as sharing his works with readers that make him enthused about writing; his occasional travel - often spontaneous, inspires him to pen such adventure. He currently lives in western Canada with his wife. ***COPYRIGHT TO ENTRIES RESERVED EXCEPT OTHERWISE INDICATED***
Powered by Blogger.

Bansa ng mga bumisita sa blog

free counters

Followers