An Asian-Canadian's traveling saga & literary tidbit
Life's contentment is not about sitting around in one's familiar place, but rather it is realized from far-flung places away from it. Traveling is my ultimate life's saga.

Impassiveness in a world of apathy

I grew up to be what my personality is all about right now: never speaking out my mind too often! I am not bitter nor I am too proud. Lately though, I felt some sense of vindication that how I reacted and spoken, much has been cleared inside of me.

In a culture where, being silent, in my younger years, equates respect to parents, never too long had it become my 'rule of thumb'. It carried on to my school and teenage years, and throughout my career. Getting a pat in the back, avoiding fewer enemies, being fed with shallow accolades, etc. were superficial rewards I got. And worse, I did not realise its effect has slithered silently and slickly dented my self-esteem to improve.

These past few days was not good in my social relationship. I have learned to seriously speak-up. Consequently, the unexpected reactions came to follow all around. They considered my action appalling, unseemly, disrespectful, desensitize of others, and basically rendering it as unacceptable.

Reviewing the impression this silence has caused me to become, which I thought was generally ideal - does not imply any intention of ruining every single genuine relationship that I built around me; relationships that have become a dike on my rather occasional scattered watery and insipid dispositions. I cannot simply afford that. Where I was lacking, these relationships had found me footing.

But rather, I found breaking my silence in a situation where it calls for as a way of sieving out uninviting societal relationships. Relationships whose purpose of association is to take advantage of you and to make you feel you have caused all the catastrophe on earth if they didn't like what you said.

With these virulent relationships, I came at this point and realised that being awfully accommodating and silent is not a good combination in life - yeah, at this age in my life; I saw and it started to dawn on me that no matter how I please these selfish relationships, they'll always find me lacking; I conquered and fully understood now that I can choose to play all the niceties and attempt to be liked or be sincerely passionate to relationships I truly treasure, but one thing must remain intact: enough self-respect to speak out my piece.

COPYRIGHT RESERVED TO THE AUTHOR. PERMISSION REQUIRED TO REPRODUCE.
2 comments:

I grew up with a very loud and outspoken family. I had to compete in no small way as a kid. I'm not complaining as in some respects it has helped me through life, even though I, apparently, have a very loud voice! In other way it has not helped at all and I'm not as sensitive as I might be.

Good luck with your blog and thanks for your contribtuion to mine.


It's odd to me but not surprising to see the opposites in personalities. I on the other hand always wanted to be the quiet wise type, my loudness and the tendency to spill thoughts out made me feel too hasty, foolish. I still feel that way and oftentimes observe myself react to various situations in attempt to respond "properly", which is tricky too because sometimes i can't tell the difference between the art of manipulation or the sincerity to myself.


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Concepteurs web

About Me

My photo
Although the author has no professional writing credential nor an all-embracing traveling experience, it is the inspiration drawn out from lives surrounding him as well as sharing his works with readers that make him enthused about writing; his occasional travel - often spontaneous, inspires him to pen such adventure. He currently lives in western Canada with his wife. ***COPYRIGHT TO ENTRIES RESERVED EXCEPT OTHERWISE INDICATED***
Powered by Blogger.

Bansa ng mga bumisita sa blog

free counters

Followers