An Asian-Canadian's traveling saga & literary tidbit
Life's contentment is not about sitting around in one's familiar place, but rather it is realized from far-flung places away from it. Traveling is my ultimate life's saga.

Venice, Italy - At the Rialto Bridge (2)

(continued...) I pulled out the cellphone from my pocket and called Dave.

"Hey, Dave! We just arrived here at Termini! What's your apartment number again? We..." I asked, but was cut with an equally over-eager voice from him.

"Don't worry about it, let me just meet you guys up at Rialto Bridge!" replying with a hint of seemingly concealed grin on his end.

That left me wondering.

After our phone conversation, and while looking at the map we just purchased from a souvenir shop at the terminal in an attempt to find our way to Rialto bridge, my wife and I chose to walk instead of boarding the Vaporetto (water-bus), which at that time was getting heavy with boarding tourists.

(When we met Dave later at Rialto bridge, he explained to me that it’s a lot easier meeting us in a public place such as this famous bridge rather than try our luck in unconventional narrow lanes of Venice. He proved himself right later on.)

We did the right decision to walk.

Except from transient beings, i.e. these wandering tourists - I felt as if I was walking in a place so different from any present-day civilization. The city's ancient elegance to me is beyond description. A moment in time when your eyes get spell-bounded by what it sees, and your tongue fails to process words to describe it. In the end, it is the heavenly sensation I felt that will testify to its impeccable greatness…and my camera, I guess.

We crossed several smaller bridge on our way to Rialto, each offering different views from the other. Vendors and tourist hawkers are everywhere. Some straight-faced, others would offer their traditional greetings: “Buon Giorno!”

I noticed most, if not all, alleys do not have letter signage in them, but only directional arrow pointing to city's main attractions (i.e. Piazza de San Marco).

Though I felt my feet becoming heavy at that point, we continued on, enjoying each view every time we passed by at narrow alleyways snaking over a turquoise canal.

A showcase of quaint and cozy shops spread on both sides of the alley enhanced our enjoyment. We did our occasional stops on arch bridge to take pictures of gondola gliding smoothly through meandering water canal as well. At times, the wife would giggle with enjoyment every time she hears fedora-clad baritone gondoliers sing their hearts out.

Meanwhile, Dave had been at the Rialto bridge way ahead, waiting for us. TO BE CONTINUED.

COPYRIGHT RESERVED TO THE AUTHOR. PERMISSION REQUIRED TO REPRODUCE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Concepteurs web

About Me

My photo
Although the author has no professional writing credential nor an all-embracing traveling experience, it is the inspiration drawn out from lives surrounding him as well as sharing his works with readers that make him enthused about writing; his occasional travel - often spontaneous, inspires him to pen such adventure. He currently lives in western Canada with his wife. ***COPYRIGHT TO ENTRIES RESERVED EXCEPT OTHERWISE INDICATED***
Powered by Blogger.

Bansa ng mga bumisita sa blog

free counters

Followers