An Asian-Canadian's traveling saga & literary tidbit
Life's contentment is not about sitting around in one's familiar place, but rather it is realized from far-flung places away from it. Traveling is my ultimate life's saga.

Tokyo before the tragedy 3 - (TOKYO, Japan - Thursday, March 10, 2011)

"There was no hint of anything ominous to come. The city was full of life that evening. Toyotas and Hondas join the left-hand traffic flow of Tokyo's busy streets amid the ostensive flashes of traffic lights. A teeming crowd who emerged from Ueno subway station swarms forward in unison to cross the street..."
 (con't...)
Leisurely strolling along Asakusa-dori back to our hotel after our quick supper that was concluded with a brimming cup of green tea may have regained my energy. Or, merely surveying at what I think was a typical scene of Tokyo's urban life has indeed engrossed and occupied me deeply- with cautious-moving step-through frame bikes careening with finesse along the pedestrian lane past through those passersby carrying a composed and collected expression on their faces, if not the calm and cool evening.

There was no hint of anything ominous to come. The city was full of life that evening. Toyotas and Hondas join the left-hand traffic flow of Tokyo's busy streets amid the ostensive flashes of traffic lights. A teeming crowd who emerged from Ueno subway station swarms forward in unison to cross the street at the signal of green light all seemingly gung-ho to carry on their end-of-the-day tasks. The enticing colourful banner of udon and sashimi and the likes swagger at a brief whiff of air signalling passersby a welcome greetings at each restaurant's entrance door. I stood still for a brief moment to appreciate all the activities.

Oblivious to the oncoming group of mothers with their little girl mounted at the front of their bikes, my wife pulled me to the side. Surprisingly enough, all I got in return was a seemingly apologetic gesture of head-bowing from the group; surliness and annoyance untraceable from their faces. It was my ignorance that wronged them! I shook my head out of admiration, and as an afterthought, asked my wife: "Should I be the one to give an acknowledgement to my fault instead?" Their tolerance and patience were beyond belief.


In a moment of epiphany, all the dazzling encounters we had with the locals in a short period of time since we're here have come-up reeling in to my senses, glistening at the rays of light and wriggling with life like a series of fresh catch from the ocean. I wanted to dive-in and explore more of it! Their exceptional characters and good manners that I thought had drifted away from most of human's day-to-day interactions are still here and alive!

The reservations, if not spiteful thoughts, toward their stoic manners and preoccupied  facial expressions have now waned and blotted-out from within me. It won't ever reduce my admiration for the the Japanese and their culture. Japan indeed have human face, as stoic as it may seem - and a broken one at that, post March 11. It is a face that needs help, understanding, compassion, and beyond it all, faith; I will embrace them like a new-found brother.

Later that night, I lay in bed thinking of what the following day may bring to us here in Tokyo.

(NOTE: series continued with title "Caught up in Tokyo". Click Home link at http://arvtar.blogspot.com/ to follow the story...)
2 comments:

Thanks so much for visiting to my blog and leaving kind words.
Ueno is one of my favorite place in Tokyo.
I hope you visit there again someday!


You are most welcome. We will definitely revisit Japan again in the future.


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Concepteurs web

About Me

My photo
Although the author has no professional writing credential nor an all-embracing traveling experience, it is the inspiration drawn out from lives surrounding him as well as sharing his works with readers that make him enthused about writing; his occasional travel - often spontaneous, inspires him to pen such adventure. He currently lives in western Canada with his wife. ***COPYRIGHT TO ENTRIES RESERVED EXCEPT OTHERWISE INDICATED***
Powered by Blogger.

Bansa ng mga bumisita sa blog

free counters

Followers